A reader opens a magazine and flips through the pages looking for
something interesting-something that hooks his or her attention. Most
readers pause at flashy photographs, relevant graphics, and strong
titles.
I've crafted a few clever titles throughout my freelance writing career. I once wrote an article about dog agility competitions and titled it "Dog Day Afternoons." On another occasion, I wrote an article summarizing the health benefits of consuming honey. I titled it, "Honey Almighty." I recently published a piece I wrote about aquariums and titled it, "One Fish, Two Fish."
Crafting a strong title can capture a reader's attention and prompt him to read your work. Here are six tips for creating killer titles.
1. Playing the Numbers
Readers love to browse lists, so you can draw in a reader by incorporating a number in your title. For example, "Six Tips for Writing Strong Titles," "Ten New Year's Resolutions," "The Top Ten Weather Apps," or "A Baker's Dozen."
2. Use Sticky Words
Incorporate sticky words in your title. Easy, great, cheap, inexpensive, tips, solutions, and quick are attention-grabbing words. Examples include, "Easy Meals for Under Ten Dollars," "Quick Ways to Save Money," and "Your Guide to Cheap Vacations."
3. How to Use Interrogative Words in Titles
Prescriptive nonfiction (also known as, how-to) articles are popular these days, so a reader may pause if they see a title with "How to" or "What is" in the title. For example, "How to Snake-Proof your Yard," "How to Train for a Marathon," "What is Divining?" or "When is a Good Time to Buy a House?"
4. Idioms
Consider using an idiom in your title. For example, "High on the Hog" might describe an article about luxurious living, riding motorcycles, or eating pork. "Knock on Wood" could be the title for an article about a master woodworker. And sometimes, I replace one word in a common idiom with a rhyming word. For example, a fitness article about ab workouts could be called, "Roll with the Crunches."
5. Singing in the Rain
Consider using a popular song title or lyric for your title. For example, "Blue Moon Rising" could be used to title an article about lunar anomalies, "Crocodile Rock" could title an article about crocodiles, or "Living in a Material World," could title an article about the decline of fabric stores in America.
6. Alluring Alliteration
Sometimes when I can't come up with a clever title, I use alliteration. Alliteration is the occurrence of the same letter or sound at the beginning of adjacent or closely-connected words. Examples include, "Seaside Splendor," "Facebook Frenzy," and "Fearless and Female."
So much of writing articles is trial and error. Make a list of several titles and ask friends and family members which one appeals to them most. With a little practice, you, too, can craft killer titles for your articles.
I've crafted a few clever titles throughout my freelance writing career. I once wrote an article about dog agility competitions and titled it "Dog Day Afternoons." On another occasion, I wrote an article summarizing the health benefits of consuming honey. I titled it, "Honey Almighty." I recently published a piece I wrote about aquariums and titled it, "One Fish, Two Fish."
Crafting a strong title can capture a reader's attention and prompt him to read your work. Here are six tips for creating killer titles.
1. Playing the Numbers
Readers love to browse lists, so you can draw in a reader by incorporating a number in your title. For example, "Six Tips for Writing Strong Titles," "Ten New Year's Resolutions," "The Top Ten Weather Apps," or "A Baker's Dozen."
2. Use Sticky Words
Incorporate sticky words in your title. Easy, great, cheap, inexpensive, tips, solutions, and quick are attention-grabbing words. Examples include, "Easy Meals for Under Ten Dollars," "Quick Ways to Save Money," and "Your Guide to Cheap Vacations."
3. How to Use Interrogative Words in Titles
Prescriptive nonfiction (also known as, how-to) articles are popular these days, so a reader may pause if they see a title with "How to" or "What is" in the title. For example, "How to Snake-Proof your Yard," "How to Train for a Marathon," "What is Divining?" or "When is a Good Time to Buy a House?"
4. Idioms
Consider using an idiom in your title. For example, "High on the Hog" might describe an article about luxurious living, riding motorcycles, or eating pork. "Knock on Wood" could be the title for an article about a master woodworker. And sometimes, I replace one word in a common idiom with a rhyming word. For example, a fitness article about ab workouts could be called, "Roll with the Crunches."
5. Singing in the Rain
Consider using a popular song title or lyric for your title. For example, "Blue Moon Rising" could be used to title an article about lunar anomalies, "Crocodile Rock" could title an article about crocodiles, or "Living in a Material World," could title an article about the decline of fabric stores in America.
6. Alluring Alliteration
Sometimes when I can't come up with a clever title, I use alliteration. Alliteration is the occurrence of the same letter or sound at the beginning of adjacent or closely-connected words. Examples include, "Seaside Splendor," "Facebook Frenzy," and "Fearless and Female."
So much of writing articles is trial and error. Make a list of several titles and ask friends and family members which one appeals to them most. With a little practice, you, too, can craft killer titles for your articles.
Amber Lanier Nagle has published hundreds of articles in national and regional magazines.
She is the brainchild behind Project Keepsake (www.ProjectKeepsake.com), a published collection of nonfiction stories about the origins and histories of keepsakes-a pocket knife, a cake pan, a quilt, a milking stool, etc. She says, "Everyone has a keepsake, and every keepsake has a story to tell."
She's also published two eBooks and facilitates writing workshops.
She is the brainchild behind Project Keepsake (www.ProjectKeepsake.com), a published collection of nonfiction stories about the origins and histories of keepsakes-a pocket knife, a cake pan, a quilt, a milking stool, etc. She says, "Everyone has a keepsake, and every keepsake has a story to tell."
She's also published two eBooks and facilitates writing workshops.